The NFL’s change to trim three rounds of roster cuts into a one-day event has led to a free for all.
But now that the dust is settled, we can finally take a look at the first 53-man roster released by the Chicago Bears.
To be clear, this might not be the team’s official Week 1 roster. The Bears are third in waiver claim order in what amounts to being a second draft. Because of the team’s prime position, GM Ryan Pace will be in a situation to pluck players off the waiver wire other teams chose to let go.
I have a feeling this will need to be updated once the Bears dive through the waiver pool.
Until then, here is a look at the Bears’ first 53-man roster:
- QUARTERBACK (3): Mike Glennon, Mitch Trubisky, Mark Sanchez
- RUNNING BACK (4): Jordan Howard, Jeremy Langford, Tarik Cohen, Benny Cunningham
- FULLBACK (1): Michael Burton
- WIDE RECEIVER (5): Kevin White, Markus Wheaton, Kendall Wright, Josh Bellamy, Deonte Thompson
- TIGHT END (5): Dion Sims, Zach Miller, Adam Shaheen, Daniel Brown, Ben Braunecker
- OFFENSIVE TACKLE (3): Charles Leno Jr., Bobby Massie, Bradley Sowell
- OFFENSIVE GUARD (3): Josh Sitton, Kyle Long, Tom Compton
- CENTER (2): Cody Whitehair, Hroniss Grasu
Waiving Tanner Gentry was the biggest surprise of the day, but not the only one. For the first time in the Ryan Pace era, the Bears will open with just five receivers. In fact, they have as many wide receivers (5) as they do tight ends (5). It’s a bit odd to see a team break camp with five tight ends, but perhaps offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains will utilize more three tight end sets in the wake of Cameron Meredith’s injury.
- DEFENSIVE END (4): Akiem Hicks, Roy Robertson-Harris, Jonathan Bullard, Mitch Unrein
- NOSE TACKLE (1): Eddie Goldman
- OUTSIDE LINEBACKER (4): Pernell McPhee, Leonard Floyd, Willie Young, Sam Acho
- INSIDE LINEBACKER (4): Danny Trevathan, Jerrell Freeman, Nick Kwiatkoski, Christian Jones
- CORNERBACKS (6): Prince Amukamara, Michael Cooper, Cre’von LeBlanc, Bryce Callahan, Kyle Fuller,
B.W. WebbSherrick McManis
- SAFETIES (5): Quintin Demps, Adrian Amos, Eddie Jackson, Deiondre’ Hall, Deon Bush
Sam Acho received the nod over undrafted rookie free agent Isaiah Irving, who was among the most productive rookie pass rushers playing outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Unless he gets claimed on waivers, Irving will have a home on the Bears’ practice squad. The Bears parted ways with experienced depth pieces at each level of the defense, cutting ties with nose tackle John Jenkins, linebacker Kelvin Sheppard, and cornerback B.W. Webb.
- SPECIALISTS: Connor Barth (PK), Pat O’Donnell (P), Jeff Overbaugh (LS)
- INJURED RESERVE: Cameron Meredith (WR), Lamarr Houston (OLB), Ka’Deem Carey (RB), Jordan Morgan (OL), Chris Prosinkski (S), Eric Kush (OL), Rueben Randle (WR), Patrick Scales (LS)