Time flies when you’re writing about a team that has new pieces in place all over the field.
It’s already June, which means when we say training camp starts next month, we’ll soon be counting down the days. Sure, there are still three weeks to go before things pick up. But that’s not going to keep us from feeling good about stuff. Onward!
- Dontrelle Inman was one of the NFL’s most productive receivers against press coverage last season. Can’t say I saw that coming:
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) June 30, 2018
- I’m a bit surprised the Bears didn’t bring back Inman for a second term with the team. Inman seemed to build a decent rapport with Mitch Trubisky in their brief time together, but there isn’t much to complain about when it comes to wide receivers seeing that the front office overhauled the position almost entirely in one offseason.
- Andrew Dannehy of Da Bears Blog offers up some players who could have breakout seasons for Chicago’s offense in 2018, which includes wide receiver Kevin White. While I understand the skepticism behind hopping on the White bandwagon, but it’s worth pointing out – as Dannehy does – that White has the reputation of being a high-character guy and a hard worker. As a former top-10 pick, it’s also evident that White has talent … it’s just that he’s had poor injury luck. The combination of hard work and talent can’t be kept down forever. Right?
- Speaking of receivers who could break out, let’s watch Taylor Gabriel show off his mad agility skills:
- The folks at FantasyPros.com shared their projections for rookie receiver Anthony Miller … and they’re a bit light, as far as I’m concerned. A 36-catch, 472-yard, two-touchdown season would be disappointing considering Miller’s second-round status and would come well short of the bar he set for himself earlier in the offseason.
- Bobby Sylvester believes Miller may have some fantasy value in an offense with Allen Robinson, Trey Burton, Taylor Gabriel, Tarik Cohen, and others sharing targets. However, Miller’s upside could be limited. Tack on Sylvester’s concerns regarding Trubisky’s “major question marks” and it’s understandable why not everyone is quick to think big things are in store for Miller right away.
- HOWEVER, we could be looking at a team making a big leap up the standings if things fall in place for the Bears in 2018:
2018 @ChicagoBears = 2017 Rams?
— NFL (@NFL) June 30, 2018
- Larry Mayer of the Chicago Bears’ official website fields a question regarding undrafted free agent Ryan Nall in his most recent mailbag. The rookie running back has a shot to make the team as a fullback and special teams ace, but will need to show off those particular skills once training camp rolls around. Mayer says Nall “caught the ball pretty well” out of the backfield during offseason training drills, but will need to round out his skills as a blocker if he is going to make the team out of camp.
- Windy City Gridiron’s Lester Wiltfong Jr. unearths some video of Matt Nagy showing fire and passion during his time as an AFL quarterback. How can you not want to play for this guy?